These are just some of the methods one can do to increase the speed of their computer. If you think it is time to try some of these methods, please contact Phoenix IT Support and someone will assist you.
Top methods for increasing the overall speed of the computer:
1. Purchase a Solid State Drive.
2. Buy more compatible RAM.
3. Defragment your harddrive.
4. Remove extra toolbars from your Windows taskbar and from your Internet browser.
5. Disable unneeded startup processes.
6. Remove old or unused software that you don’t need.
7. Be realstic. The high end computer you bought a few years ago may have been fast for its time, but remember that computational power available is increasing very fast. See Moore’s Law. As computers get faster, software developers write newer versions of their software to take advantage of the newer technology. If you’re still using an outdated computer, it most likely won’t run the latest and greatest software at its true potential, if at all. That’s why it is important to upgrade or replace an older computer every few years.
If you want to do any of the above improvements on your computer, please submit a ticket to Phoenix IT Support (PITS).
Phoenix Cluster Systems Specialist and Websites Administrator
University of California, Davis